The Italian Abbeys Award
|Choose your language:|
The Monasticism had a primary function to preserve the European civilization during the barbarian invasions and through the Dark Centuries of the Middle Age. In order to promote the knowledge and the cataloguing of the medieval buildings consecrated the Christian cult, the ARI Section of Busto Arsizio proposes to all OM/YL and SWL over the world the D.A.I.: Diploma delle Abbazie Italiane (Italian Abbeys Award).
Valid References: Abbey is a building, made in the paleochristian or medieval ages, having character of a monastry and cult place managed by a monastic religious order and ruled by an Abbot. About this Award, we consider valid references also Monasteries, Convents, Sanctuaries, Basilicas, Hermitages, Chapels, Churches and Belfries, and every building consecrated to the Christian cult, still active or disused, going back to the Paleochristian Age (Ist to 4th Century) or to the Middle Age (5th to 15th Century), whose an evident archeologic trace is still existing on the territory, even in presence of later restructurations or reconstructions.
Definition of Middle Age: time period coming from the fall of Western Roman Empire (476 A.D.) and the discovery of America by Christopher Columbus (1492 A.D.), but for this Award any religious building made within fifteen Centuries (from Ist to 15th Century) of the Christian Age (until 1500 A.D.)is valid.
Each object is identified by the abbreviation DAI followed by a regional code of 2 letters and a number (e.g.: DAI AZ-0004). The Official List is published in the Web Site www.aribusto.it
The 2 letters before the numbers, chosen to avoid any confusion with provincial 2-letters codes or some else Award codes, identify the Region ot the Autonomous Province (A.P.) as following table shows:
1. Operations of activation of the references must be made near the building, anyway not over 500 meters far from the external perimetral wall of the building. Based stations must show the evidence of the distance from the reference, as example providing a picture of a map with measurings.
2. Each operation of activation of a reference will be valid if at least 100 QSO's will be logged. All Bands and all modes assigned to the Radioamateurs in Italy are valid. We advice to use at least two bands for each activation. Also activations contemporary with activations of castles, islands, lighthouses, lakes, and so on will be valid on condition that the DAI code is mentioned during the operations. For re-activations of a reference in a day after that of first activation the limit is decreased to 80 QSO.
3. To get the operation credited, the activator must send the form, a computer log in format ADIF and a photo within 30 days from the date in whinch tha activation commenced via e-mail to this address E-MAIL The mandatory fields will be : CALL, DATE, TIME, BAND and MODE, and the filename should be Callsign_reference (es: IZ3ZZZ_VN0001.ADI). Please attach JPG not larger than 800 x 600 pixels (about 80 KB). Paper logs or non-ADIF formats will be no longer accepted. The activities must be finished within 30 days from first QSO. Further activations won't be validated to same activator until the previous activation will be finished unless a it cannot be completed because of serious causes (to be communicated to the Manager). In case of invalidation because violation of the rules, the activator will be automatically suspended for 30 days from the DAI activity. A violation of this suspention will result in a disqualify. The manager only can declare an already started DAI activity as not valid, for proper initiative or by a menmber of the Staff one, or after motivated request by the activator and getting the advisory opinion of one member of the Staff.
4. The activated reference will worth also as a worked reference if the activator wants to apply for the Hunter Award.
5. Only one reference per time can be activated.
6. No more than two activations per day with the same call-sign are allowed. Used call-sign must follow the official rules. For all that not yet ruled, the activator must follow the directions published on Radio Rivista nr. 1/2006, page 16 (postposition of the call-area or of the prefix of Special Statute Region or Province). Call-signs not following these rules will be converted by the office. Portable stations will ad also the /P (slash-P). E.g.: IZ3ZZZ/IX1/P.
7. In case of activities with more than one operator, the reference will be credited to the owner of the used call-sign. To get same credit, other operators must log at least 50 QSO's with their own call-sign after the quorum of 100 QSO's has been reached with main call-sign, and in same day. Clubstation Call-signs are the same as personal call-signs.
8. The list of the DAI References is published on this Web Site and it is neither complete nor definitive. New references can be requested to the Award Manager with the proper form before the activations by producing opportune documentations with photos and/or reference to books or web sites. The decision about acceptance or refuse of the request is in charge to the Award Manager and it is uncontestable. The official list, the codes, the forms, the logo and the graphic realization of the Award are property of the A.R.I. Section of Busto Arsizio and cannot be reproduced without the authorization released by the President of the Section or by his delegate.
9. QRP operations are not allowed.
10. The QSL confirming the QSO are not needed, the electronic cross-check detects the presence of the QSO in the Activator's log. For SWL a special ranking has been established.
11. There are two categories of the Award: Hunter ed Expeditioner. The Awards are free of charge and they are sent via e-mail as PDF documents, ready to be printed by the applicant with a common inkjet printer. More Certificates are also available, with same way, for Expeditioners and Hunters. For Expeditioners the Certificates of the Master Serie for steps of 50 different references activated, and for the Hunters the Certificates of the Excellence Serie for steps of 250 different references contacted.
12. If the applicant does not have a printer, it is possible to get the printing of the Award and get it via surface mail sending the form to the address: Sez. ARI di Busto Arsizio, Casella Postale 125, 21052 Busto Arsizio (VA), with a fee of 10 Euro or 14 U.S. Dollars to cover postages (neither IRC nor other currencies are accepted).
13. To get the Hunter Award the applicant must have got contact with at least 10 references for Europe and Mediterranean Countries, 3 references for any other Country. A special Honor Roll Award will be released to who can prove to have contacted at least one reference each Region and Autonomous Province (21 references with different 2-letter codes).
15. To get an Expeditioner Award you must have made at least 3 valid expeditions, that means with a minimum of 100 QSO's logged per expedition. It isn't necessary to apply for it, as it will be delivered automatically once reached the 3rd activity.
16. All the forms are downloadable from this web site.
17. For any controversy the decision of the Award Manager is definitive and uncontestable.
18. The activator whose behaviour will be considered uncorrect, breaking the rules of the Award, could be suspended or disqualified on request of the Manager and one member of the DAI Technical Crew.